Last recipe of our Beet Veggie Week is a rich, moist, sweet cake!
So good you have to make it so you can really understand what I am talking about!
It’s so tasty the only problem is to practice self control to stop after one slice(or maybe 2…)!
Beet Cinnamon Cake with Hazelnut Frosting
Serves 8-10 slices
- 200g whole spelt flour
- 30g cacao powder
- 20g corn startch
- 200g cups grated raw beets(aprox. 2 medium beets)
- 160g muscovado sugar
- 110ml olive or coconut oil
- 125g grated pear
- 250ml almond milk(or any other plant milk, such as oats and cashews)
- ¼ cup dried fruits(chopped apricots, figs, raisins… )
- ¼ cup crushed hazelnuts + 2 tablespoons for decoration
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch vanilla powder
- ½ cup hazelnut butter
- ¼ cup almond milk(or any other nut milk) + ¼ cup
- ¼ cup orange juice juice
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Pinch vanilla powder
Grate the raw beets and pears and add the dried fruits, crushed hazelnuts, oil, almond milk, pinch of salt and muscovado sugar;
Add the spelt flour, corn starch,cacao powder, cinnamon, vanilla, baking powder and soda. Mix well and add the apple cider vinegar;
Place the dough in a rectangular(round also works) sheet baking pan;
Bake in pre-heated oven at 180°C for about 30-40 minutes. Always check with a knife if the center of the cake is baked before taking out of the oven;
While the cake is baking mix all the ingredients for the frosting together and set aside;
Wait the cake to cool down and pour the frosting on top. Sprinkle some crushed nuts over the cake and enjoy this moist, rich cake!