This Russian traditional recipe for some reason became really popular in Brazil. So popular many Brazilians could swear it’s a national dish and they would not be totally wrong…
Our national version have some peculiarities. I hope you try it and discover this amazing recipe that traveled the world.
TEMPEH and mushroons Stroganoff
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
for 4-5 people
- 300g button mushrooms
- 300g tempeh, in cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup canned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoons tomato extract
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 300g vegan cream(or 1 cup plant milk + 1 tablespoon corn or tapioca starch)
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoon whisky or cognac
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped Parsley
- Pre-heat the oven at 180°C and roast the tempeh and with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper for about 30 minutes;
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan with a drizzle of olive oil and fry the onions and garlic cloves with a pinch of salt until they become juicy(about 5 minutes with the lid on). Add the cognac and let it simmer for about 1-2 minutes;
- Add the mushrooms and grill for 5 minutes;
- Blend the canned tomatoes and tomato extract before adding it to the pan and let it simmer for more 5-10 minutes;
- Add the roasted tempeh and vegan cream, mix well and let it simmer for 5 – 10 minutes in medium heat.
- Adjust the salt and add lemon juice.
- Don’t forget: this is a freezer friendly recipe! You can prepare big batches and freeze the leftovers for an easy lunch or dinner another day. It also keeps good in the fridge for 3-5 days.