Yes, we have an extra recipe this week!!! Carrot Cake it is!!!
How not to share a cake recipe when besides Easter time it’s also my birthday???
This cake I made for last Easter but I am hoping to get home in time to bake another one like this today and make a double batch of the frosting, just to eat it with a spoon! There is no birthday when there is no cake!!
Carrot Hazelnut Cake
Serves 8-10 slices
- 200g whole spelt flour
- 50g corn or tapioca starch
- 200g grated raw carrots (3-4 medium)
- 160g muscovado sugar
- 110ml olive or coconut oil
- 125g grated apple (1 medium)
- 250ml almond milk(or any other plant milk, such as oats and cashews)
- ¼ cup dried fruits(chopped apricots, figs, raisins… )
- ¼ cup crushed hazelnuts + 2 tablespoons for decoration
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 pinch vanilla powder
- ½ cup Hazelnut butter
- ¼ cup almond milk(or any other nut milk) + ¼ cup
- 1/3 cup water or orange juice
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Pinch vanilla powder
- Mix the grated carrots and apple with dried fruits, crushed hazelnuts, oil, almond milk, pinch of salt and muscovado sugar;
- Add the spelt flour, corn starch, cinnamon, vanilla, baking powder and soda. Mix well and add the apple cider vinegar;
- Place the dough in a rectangular(round also works) baking pan, just don’t
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 180°C for about 30-40 minutes. Always check with a knife if the center of the cake is baked before taking out of the oven;
- While the cake is baking mix all the ingredients for the frosting together in a small sauce pan. Bring to a quick boil(1 minutes max) and set aside to cool down;
- Wait the cake to cool down and pour the frosting on top. Sprinkle some crushed nuts over the cake and enjoy this moist, rich cake!