I am so happy with all the questions about my vegan feta cheese!!
Vegan cheese is life and this is one of my favorites! I add on salads, toasts, quiches… It’s just good with everything!
Make big batches and keep on the fridge for up to 4 months!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
for 4 big blocks
• 2 cups blanched almonds
• 1 cup rejuvelac or sauerkraut juice(you find in bio shops)
• ½ tsp salt
• 2/3 cup water
• 2 tbsp agar powder
• 4 cups water
• ¼ cup salt
- Soak the almonds overnight;
- Blend the almonds with the rejuvelac or sauerkraut juice and salt for about 3 minutes until it becomes a thick, creamy paste;
- Place the cream in a container and let it ferment for 1 or 2 days over the counter;
- After 2 days: In medium sauce pan, bring the 2/3 cup water with the agar powder to a boil and let it simmer for 4 minutes with the lid on;
- Combine with the almond mixture while still warm and whisk to avoit lumps to form. If it is lumpy you can blend the mixture again for 1 minute;
- Transfer to a container to shape(sheet pan or dip dish) and let it cool down in the fridge overnight;
- Make the brine and set aside;
- Transfer the feta to a cutting board and cut in 4 blocks. Transfer the blocks to a new container and cover everything with the brine;
- Let it set in the fridge for at least 2 days, it reaches its best after 2 weeks and you can keep in the fridge for up to 4 months;
- After 4 weeks add 1 cup plain water into the brine to avoid the cheese to get too salty;
- You can also cut small pieces and let it marinate in olive oil and herbs(after 2 weeks in the brine)